Thursday's Child: The Isle of Skye

Thursday, March 5, 2015
There isn't any obvious reason why I'm writing about the Isle of Skye today: no particular news connections, and the weather isn't reminding me of anywhere other than the Antarctic, or perhaps the north of Siberia. But earlier this week, I had some old photo albums out and realized I'd never posted about our trip to this beautiful island when we visited Scotland in 2005.

Our day began with more interest for the adults than the children, as our first stop was at the Talisker Distillery. Andrew and I loved the tour, as well as the free sample we received on arrival. The girls were less enthusiastic, coming along on the tour but declining the dram of 10-year-old scotch eagerly offered by the proprietor. 


Facts about this distillery: at the time we visited, there were only six employees; the distillery was founded in 1830, meaning we visited during its 175th anniversary year; Talisker was reportedly Robert Louis Stevenson's favourite drink, and he mentioned it in his poem "The Scotsman's Return From Abroad."


Scotch tasting behind us, we set off for the real treat of the day - a seal-watching adventure. We put on protective rain gear supplied by the company and took off for a two-hour tour of the Sound of Sleat. 




Skye's Cuillin Mountains were beautiful, as were the myriad of inlets along the coast. We saw multitudes of seals and flocks of seabirds - and a single basking shark. But the highlight of the trip, according to the girls, was getting drenched in the sea spray, and arriving back at the dock soaking wet, despite all that protective gear!




14 comments:

Tricia Buice said...

How cool Beth - we saw seals in Iceland and no killer whales - which was good for the seals. I want to go to Scotland so badly! Your daughters are lovely a young girls as well as grown up girls! Have a wonderful weekend

Monica said...

It's great to take a break and think about someplace far away. Thanks for the lovely interlude. : )

Mary @ The World Is A Book said...

This sounds like such a wonderful trip. I love that there are a variety of things to do both for adults and the kids. Scotland is high on our travel wish list. I need to look into the Isle of Skye. Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

How lovely to rediscover this trip with your photos!

Valerie Gamine said...

Amazing photos, Beth! Iceland has been bumped down to the second place on the list of places I'd most like to visit. Wow...my green loving heart would be happy here.

Beth said...

You'd love it, Valerie! And I have to admit that Iceland is pretty high on my wish list, too.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

We toured a distillery on Skye, too! Did you go to Fingal's cave on your trip? One of my best memories of Scotland :)

Beth said...

We didn't, Liz - and now I'll have to google it to see what it is! Sounds like a good reason to go back to Scotland.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Beth, sounds like you really know how to travel with family, sounds like a wonderful trip. Beautiful pictures!

Cakelaw said...

How wonderful - I have always wanted to go to Skye.

scrambledhenfruit said...

So beautiful! I am dreaming of a trip to Scotland one day. :)

Angie's Recipes said...

What a wonderful trip! The seal-watching sounds really exciting and fun.

Gloria Baker said...

absolutely beautiful pics Beth!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

My oldest went to Skye when she was doing her year in Edinburgh. She thought it was beautiful too. I'll have to put it on my list.

Post a Comment