Blueberry Muffins Redux

Sunday, August 29, 2010



“Didn’t you just post a recipe for blueberry muffins?”

Why, yes, I did.  Thanks for noticing.  But can you ever have too many recipes for blueberry muffins?

That is a rhetorical question, the answer to which is ‘no’.

The girls and I were berry-picking at my mom’s place, and I came back with enough blueberries to last us through the winter.  But before I froze any of them, I had to bake a batch of muffins.  This recipe is equally as delicious as my other one but uses almond flavouring and is covered in streusel. 

I’m sorry the photo didn’t turn out better.  I have a lot to learn about food photography, as you can tell by the seemingly invisible streusel on these muffins.  I thought about baking a second batch so I could get a better picture, but I really don’t need another dozen muffins sitting on my kitchen counter.  You’ll have to trust me that it’s thick and crunchy.  In fact, eating one warm, I couldn’t decide which carried the day – the cinnamon streusel or the warm blueberries popping in my mouth.  Try them and let me know what you think!

Blueberry Streusel Muffins

(adapted from Once Upon a Plate, which has much better photos)

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Streusel:

1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter

Directions: 

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Beat in egg and almond extract; mix well.  Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.  Fold in blueberries. 
Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.  In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly.  Sprinkle over muffins.  Bake at 375º for 20 minutes.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.  Serve warm.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, you definitely can't have too many blueberry muffins!

Love the streusel topping!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about blueberry muffins. They are always a welcome treat and streusel sells them faster.

Shandy said...

What a delicious sounding recipe! Your muffins look wonderful with all the blueberries peeking through the struesel; YUM!

SweetsSuccessBaking said...

No argument from me. Never too many! :-)

Valerie Gamine said...

I never get sick of muffin recipes, especially when they include blueberries and streusel. :)

Tiffiny Felix said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :) And I totally agree, you can never make too many blueberry muffins. I *love* the struesel topping--such a treat!! And I'm totally jealous that you can go pick blueberries; no such luck here in Utah. Enjoy them! Yum! :)

Mimi said...

Muffin never last long in our house, especially those with a streusel topping.
Mimi

Beth said...

I'm so glad none of you mind a second blueberry muffin recipe! The streusel on this one really drew me in, and it's hard to stop at just one.

Susanne K. Fletcher said...

Can't wait to try this one. Do they freeze well?

Beth said...

Great question, Susanne. I have never frozen a streusel topping before and wasn't sure if it could be done. But I googled it, and found quite a few streusel-topped muffins that can be frozen. If you try it out, let me know how it works!

Post a Comment